Friday, July 24, 2015

Skyrim Architecture: Dragonsreach

Welcome to a new addition of my Skyrim Architecture series, where I scout the Skyrim world in search of the most beautiful structures and landmarks Bethesda's award-winning franchise has to offer.  This time, we're at a beautiful keep that watches over the city of Whiterun.


    I have finally bought Skyrim for the PC, and I'm now able take detailed pictures of places that I had trouble finding on the internet.  Let's take a close look at Dragonsreach!

Dragonsreach as seen from a bird!  Truly a great picture from the Elder Scrolls Wiki.
    Dragonsreach is a beautiful palace that watches over the city of Whiterun in central Skyrim.  It houses the governor of the city, Jarl Balgruuf, and its overall emphasis on dragons signifies the effect they had on the designer.  The bridge leading up to the palace was designed to give the feeling that you were walking through a dragon's rib cage, at least that's what I make of it.  The original palace was quite small, but a keep was added to the back with the intent of capturing the dragon Numinex.  (No, not Mucinex.)
  

   
With its vaulted ceilings and steep roof inclines, it looks to me like Dragonsreach was inspired by real-world Gothic architecture, the main architectural style for many palaces and cathedrals throughout history.  Even more close to reality is the way each floor becomes smaller as you move up the structure, reminding me of a Norwegian stave church I posted a while back.

    If you take a look at the picture below, you'll see the interior of Dragonsreach from the entrance.  The dragon-like support beams are continued even on the inside of the building, with archways covered with ornate carvings that separate the main hallway from smaller passageways.  It is quite a beautiful scene.  Look closer and you'll notice the smoke from the main fire pit rising to the ceiling, adding to the atmosphere.  Below are some pictures of the interior hallway and its support beams.
 




    Detailed wood archways support the palace's ceiling and second floor, made in such a way that it looks like one is inside of a dragon.




    This is the main hallway of Dragonsreach, lit by a large firepit and two chandeliers.  The Jarl of Whiterun sits in the back.


    This is the enchanting area, where the Jarl's court wizard Farengar resides.  I often come here to make myself important potions and enchant my gear.


    The second floor of Dragonsreach features, what one might call, a briefing room.  There's a door to the right that leads out to the back balcony, where later in the story the Dragonborn helps the Jarl trap the dragon Odahviing.



    The second floor gives a better view of the intricacies of the beams that support the ceiling.


    This is part of the Jarl and his family's private quarters.  It features very high ceilings, beautiful carvings, and a moose head.


    Family dining room I presume.


    Talk about lighting...this is beautifully lit up, featuring Whiterun's flag.


    Head deeper into Dragonsreach and you'll come across the main dungeon, where the Jarl decides to hold criminals of the region of Whiterun.  It's a very atmospheric place, never radiated by the light of day.



    The beautiful flag of Whiterun.


    In other games, one would assume these sewers were not accessible, but in Bethesda's open world, one can go there too.  Maybe I'll come across some skeevers?


    The dungeon's guards keep a close eye on prisoners...if they're not eating a boiled cream treat in their headquarters that is.


    Even though these night pictures cannot replace seeing it in person, they are worth showing.  Notice the effect that ambient light and strategic lighting both have on the structure as a whole, something I adamantly discuss in Minecraft architecture, which is equally important in real architecture for that matter.







    Dragonsreach features its own water system, which runs down the steps leading up to the palace and flows around the main courtyard of the city.


    Dragonsreach offers great views and some good inspiration for making medieval Norwegian architecture.  Outstanding job, Bethesda!


    Oh, and there's me cooking some skeever meat.

What would you like to see on the next Skyrim Architecture post?  Let me know below.

References:
>> Skyrim Architecture Series
>> The Elder Scrolls Wiki

8 comments:

  1. Hi Zach!
    Nice to see you've continued Skyrim Architecture posts, and this blog. And I have to say that I like the way you describe Dragonsreach, for example that Skeever cooking and Alchemy lab / Enchanter use :D In your next post, I would like to see Sky Haven Temple, that mystic monastery in the snowy mountains. It reminds me of High Hrothgar, which I suggested you last time.

    Sorry for "abandoning" you for such a long time. This site is in my bookmarks and I've visited here every now and then, but haven't had time to write anything. I can't promise I'm going to be as active as I used to be, but keep in mind that I'm still following your amazing blog.

    Seedaum Kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Seedaum! No worries. It is very cool that you are still following my blog, even though I don't post frequently! Nice to see you. Yeah that was a fun post to write haha. I felt like everything tied in well. I'm really glad I have Skyrim on the PC now. I'll definitely need to do Sky Haven Temple next. It's a great suggestion!

      In regards to how often I post, it really just happens when I'm feeling inspired to post something, or I find something that is worth showing. Minecraft Architecture has not been on my blog since last year simply because I have lost creative interest in Minecraft and haven't felt inspired enough to go back after the cathedral, but Skyrim Architecture will continue on :) But yes, I'll do my next Skyrim post over the Sky Haven Temple, a truly amazing structure in all the sense of the word.

      May I ask you where you are from / what "Seedaum Kara" comes from?

      Delete
    2. "Yeah that was a fun post to write haha. I felt like everything tied in well." I can see that :) It's personal and warm and pleasuring to read. I would like if you keep that touch in your following Skyrim posts. No pressure, though :)

      Thanks for continuing Skyrim Architecture and take your time with writing it. Best ideas and writings are those you are inspired and motivated to do (not sure how to say this but I hope you get it :D )

      I'm from Finland and Seedaum Kara... It means like 'Weather-beaten man'. I have absolutely no idea why I have that kind of nickname :D I haven't used it a long time but wanted to use it here in order to you to recognize me :P And you are from United States?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I definitely will keep that style. It fits me, and it makes the Skyrim posts more interesting. It makes it seem like I'm actually traveling to that place.

      Thanks :) I will continue it fairly soon.

      Okay, that's cool! I understand :D Yes, you are correct. I'm from the United States :) Next year, I'll be going to a university, and I plan on majoring in Architecture. I'll keep writing on this blog along the way, and I'm sure I'll have some interesting stories to tell about college and studying architecture. It will be quite a journey!

      Delete
    4. :)

      Good luck for your studies when they start! I'm eager to see you posting here things you've learned there.

      Seedaum Kara

      Delete
  2. using your blog for my minecraft build saw you mention minecraft figured you might be interested to see this
    http://imgur.com/a/WL8k9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you wanna come on the server its mc.dkcraft.net im fairly active my name is AltusClura

      Delete
  3. I am extremely impressed with your Kay Michaels Womens Red Biker Leather Jacket writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog.

    ReplyDelete