Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Minecraft Introduction

I know this is a bit late for a Minecraft introduction, but I felt like I never did an actual intro like I did for Skyrim.  Since I've been showing so much architecture from it I feel like I should go ahead and do a post about who created it and what it's all about.  So you know what's coming: here is my introduction to an unusual 16-bit game called Minecraft.

    Minecraft is a game that was started by one single person: Markus Persson (A.K.A. Notch)  It is probably the most unique game ever made because everything is blocks.  Although it's graphics aren't that great, it offers an unlimited amount of adventure and creativity, and you will surprisingly find yourself putting hours into it.


    (Before I go on, I want to say that I'm going to post mostly architecture pictures because this is what my blog is about obviously.)  It was created way back in 2009 and had only 3 major blocks: stone, dirt, and wood.  Aside from its simplicity, Minecraft gained countless reviews and sold hundreds of copies a day when it was in alpha stage. People created amazing structures, including recreations like the Titanic and the Taj Mahal.  There were also creations of cathedrals and castles similar to the one in the picture above.

   If you follow my blog, I bet you have seen FyreUK.  They create massive builds in Minecraft and make a timelapse out of them.  This is a picture of one of their builds.  (All links will be below at the bottom of the post.)  Soon after making the game, Notch started a company in Sweden called Mojang AB.  He now has many programmers working at the company.

 
    Today, Minecraft is now a full game, but they are still adding onto it.  With over fifty blocks to use, you can build some amazing structures.  With texture packs, you can change the games graphics and make it the way you want it.  The world is over 12 million blocks wide and long.  (Remember that each block is one meter long.)  And each world is different no matter how many you make.  I have been playing for almost a year now and it's a great game to get involved in if you like adventure and creativity.  The cool thing about Minecraft is that you have one limit: your imagination.  You can build anything, and that's why I like it so much.

Be sure to follow my posts on my current Minecraft project here.  (Posts will be called Minecraft Architecture)

If you want to buy Minecraft get it at www.minecraft.net.

Pictures from:

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment